APEX Engineering Design Engineer - Water in Fargo, North Dakota
Apex Engineering Group has openings for Design Engineers working in our Water Group located in our Bismarck or Fargo, ND offices. Primary responsibilities include working as a key project team member on water or wastewater projects from the planning phase through design and construction. A Design Engineer shall be capable of independently and collaboratively contributing to the design and development of project plans, specifications while working with project team members. Design Engineers typically report to a Project Manager or Senior Engineer. Additional responsibilities may include taking on the role of resident project representative (RPR) in the field during construction projects.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering required. Master's degree preferred.
- Professional Engineers License preferred or ability to be licensed within 6-12 months required.
- 5-10 Years of experience working as a Civil or Environmental Engineer in the water or wastewater field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Must be detail orientated, self-motivated with strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Flexible working style and willingness to occasionally modify personal schedules as required to meet deadlines and/or client needs.
- Proficient using Microsoft Windows/Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D or other CADD-based civil design software is a plus.
- Knowledge or experience using water distribution or collection system modeling software is a plus.
- Experience in collection system and/or distribution system design, pump station design, sizing and selecting equipment, evaluating treatment alternatives, performing process calculations, preparing process and civil design drawings and preparing cost opinions is a plus.
- A valid driver's license is required or the ability to obtain one.
- Ability to sit and operate a computer under normal ergonomic office conditions.
- Required to work in an outdoors environment during construction season.
- May require prolonged periods of standing and walking to perform some of the typical tasks and duties associated with construction observation and surveying.
- Required to lift objects or containers weighing 50-lbs.
Typical Tasks and Duties:
- Provide professional civil engineering services for clients by providing: planning, design, specifications, plans, reports, construction observation and project management.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with supervisors and project managers on a consistent basis by providing updates and progress during all phases of projects.
- Attend company meetings, project meetings and client meetings on a regular basis.
- This position may require a limited role in preparing proposals and participating in interviews for securing work for the firm. Responsibilities for business development will increase with experience and mentoring by senior staff.
- This position will require the initiative to think independently and make rational judgment calls.
- Expect to take on and understand the role of the project engineer and the owner's on-site representative on construction projects.
- Provide direction and work with engineering technicians and other team members on the development of project plans and specifications.
- Understand and follow company CADD procedures.
- Understand and follow company employee handbook and mandated safety policies.
- Perform responsibilities in a conscientious, legal and ethical manner with a strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Participate in professional organizations and community leadership programs.
- Travel and out of town stays may be required; may work overtime especially during the construction season.
Engineering Services Group: Water
Employment Type: Full Time – Salary